Friday, May 18, 2012

Living in Gratitude


I know it’s been two weeks since I last posted to this blog.  I have got to get better at this stuff.  The thing is that nothing profound or amazing has happened during the past two weeks.  Nothing earth shattering or life changing.  Nothing deep or immensely meaningful.  I guess that’s why I’ve struggled to write lately.  But perhaps it’s the small moments in life that are most meaningful, not the huge events or the profound insights… Hmmmm…

So if I was to paint a picture of my life right now, what would it look like?  Well, it would be filled with bright skies and vibrant sunsets.  It would be filled with laughter and joy.  A lot of movement, some backwards but mostly in a forward direction.  Once in a while there might be a little bump or a moment of stress, but after a deep breath, the birds would sing and the sun would shine again.



You see, I feel like I’m in the middle of a lot.  For a brief moment the amount “a lot” sweeps me up into a panic; but if I step back, I realize that the “a lot” is all good stuff… really, really good stuff.

The donations are pouring in for the 5th Annual Reason2Smile Art Sale (Friday May 25th 6-9pm at Bluseed Studios in Saranac Lake, NY).  Incredibly talented artists from the community have donated a piece (or two or three or four) of their work in support for Reason2Smile.  Looking at these items brings a smile to my face as I recognize the generosity and love that I am surrounded by.

Last week I made my first in person delivery of a first place prize for the 2012 Reason2Smile Writing Contest.  The 4th grade boy at Cato-Meridian Elementary School was all smiles as he received his R2S t-shirt, magnet, cd, and bracelet.  His classmates gave him a standing ovation as they all celebrated in his success.  Witnessing the support (oppose to the jealousy that one would assume a 10 year old child would have towards a classmate who beat him/her in a contest) gave me goose bumps.  Kids sure can be amazing.

Yesterday I drove 2 ½ hours over the Canadian border to visit a small elementary school in Dorval, Quebec.  This bilingual school currently enrolls 55 fifth graders who noisily piled into the library on a beautiful Thursday afternoon.  Amazingly, their voices quieted and their energy calmed as they listened to me share stories about Jambo Jipya School and the lives of the children who attend.  Their questions were deep and responses enthusiastic as we spent an hour together.  Afterwards I was able to have lunch with a smaller group of the students (the leadership club) and we spoke more in-depth about the school and the help they may be able to offer.  All this because a man saw a post that one of his friends put on Facebook in support for Reason2Smile, he “liked” us, asked a few questions, and decided to sponsor a child as a Christmas gift for his 11-year-old daughter.  He then followed up by encouraging me to connect with his daughter’s school and visit them in person.  As his daughter clung to the framed photo of the little girl her family sponsors, I couldn’t help but smile.

Oh and I am getting married in 43 days!! :)  I allow myself to get slightly overwhelmed by the details of “the day” every once in a while, but mostly I am immensely excited!  As Mark says, “As long as you and I are there and at the end of the day you are my wife, everything will have been perfect.”  Yup, I love him!  He is my very best friend in all the world and I get to spend the rest of my life with him.  What could be more wonderful than that?!  Sure, I know it won’t all be sunshine and roses, but I am stepping forward into life beside a man I respect and love… beside a man whose morals and values line up with mine… beside a man who I can communicate with openly and honestly… beside a man who I know is going to make a wonderful father.  I am so very blessed!



As I joined the choir at church again on Wednesday night (I say “again” because I have been out of town pretty much every weekend for the past six so I haven’t sang with them in a long time), my heart was overcome with gratitude.   For some reason when I sing my emotions feel heightened and I am more capable of being in the moment.  All the worries and stresses of the day seem to slip away and I am filled with joy and love… for the One who created me… for those who surround me… and for all the many, many blessings in my life.  My life is so very good!  And I hope yours is too!

2 comments:

  1. You write beautifully. Thank you for sharing your life with all of us! We love you and pray for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much for your kind words Claire! And thank you for your your prayers!

    ReplyDelete